Date(s) - 06/11/2018 - 06/15/2018
8:00 am - 4:30 pm
Come increase your knowledge and skills to provide professional breastfeeding support or register to take the exam, to become a Certified Lactation Counselor!
Location TBA- OKC Metro!
June 11-15, 2018
Monday – Friday
8:15 AM – 4:30 PM,
Lunch Break (on your own): 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM
6 hours of assignments must be completed during lunchtime or evenings.
This comprehensive, evidence-based, breastfeeding management course includes practical skills, theoretical foundations and competency verification. Technical issues are explored within the context of counseling the mother in the hospital and in public health and community settings. This course prepares participants for professional work helping mothers and babies: this program trains participants how to gain insight into clients’ problems, with a strong focus on counseling skills. The course curriculum will include:
•The US version of the WHO/UNICEF Breastfeeding Counseling Training
• Introduction to lactation credentials
• The Ten Steps to Successful Breastfeeding
• Examination of factors influencing success at breastfeeding
• Distinct weight gain patterns of breastfed babies
• Anatomy and physiology of lactation • Composition of human milk
• Hormones of lactation, insufficient milk syndrome
• Examination of effect on milk supply of nicotine, alcohol, contraceptives, use of pacifiers & bottles, engorgement, fluid intake, and diet
• Hypoglycemia and hyperbilirubinemia and supplementation
• Medical significance of breastfeeding for the mother and infant
• Problems with infant formulas
• How to discuss breastfeeding with pregnant women
• The hospital experience: labor and delivery
• Infant self-attachment
• Collaborative feeding, infant feeding cues, normal suckling, assessing breastfeeding, strategies to use with infants who present with attachment problems
• Enhanced effectiveness in lactation counseling, with a focus on counseling skills
• The high criticality of early support within the traditional “zone of professional unavailability”
• Sociologic and psychologic issues impacting breastfeeding
• Strategies for premature and ill infants, late term preemies, multiples (twins, triplets, quads), babies with Down Syndrome, cleft lip and palate
• Breast problems (sore nipples, plugged ducts, mastitis, abscess, etc)
• Maternal nutrition
• Effect of various foods on the nursing infant
• Postpartum mood disorders and breastfeeding
• Fertility in breastfeeding women: Lactational Amenorrhea Method, birth control, oral contraceptives
• Working and breastfeeding
• Medical problems of the mother and contraindications to breastfeeding
• Common concerns after the early weeks: developmental ages and stages in breastfeeding and child nutrition
• Weaning, nursing older babies & toddlers, breast refusal, nursing strike
• Nursing during pregnancy
• Scope of practice: professional responsibilities, ethics, and role delineation
• The Baby-Friendly Hospital Initiative in the US
~ Participants must attend all sessions and cannot miss more than a total of 15 minutes of class for the entire week, or else they will be ineligible to sit for the exam and they forfeit the 120.00 exam fee and you will not receive your CEU’s certificate.
~The Healthy Children’s Project Has a new policy on babies attending trainings with moms. The following requirements will be upheld. 1) You will need to bring a copy of your baby’s birth certificate to provide documentation that your baby is 6 months old or less. 2) You will be expected to leave the room is your baby is not being quiet. 3) Your baby will NOT be allowed to stay with you on Friday Afternoon during the proctored exam. 4) You understand and take responsibility for your attendance. knowing that if your miss more than 15 minutes of instruction collectively during the week you will not received your CEU’s or be allowed to sit for the certification exam. 5) You will also not be entitled to the receive a refund of the 120.00 exam fee.n to pump in the room, each seat has access to an outlet for your breast pump.
About the CLC Certification Exam- ( OPTIONAL)
Founded in 1999, The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP) is dedicated to improving the foundation of breastfeeding comprehension and understanding throughout the United States by providing lactation professionals opportunities to sit for National Certification designations. The CLC® designation is ANSI accredited, a process (based on the ANSI/ ISO/IEC 17024 standard) designed to increase the integrity, confidence, and mobility of certified professionals. For more information please see ALPP’s website www.talpp.org or call (508) 833-1500.
Certified Lactation Counselor® (CLC) designation
In order to achieve the designation of Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC®), you must meet all criteria, follow the Scope of Practice and pass the written exam and the Lactation Assessment Tool Competency administered by The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice (ALPP). In agreement with Healthy Children Project, Inc., ALPP will administer the exam on the last day of the course. If you would like to take the exam, you must mark the appropriate box on the registration form and submit payment.
Upon completion of the exam, ALPP will notify you of your results in writing within 6-8 weeks.
Requirements for CLC Designation
~ Candidates must successfully complete an appropriate, eligible training program. See the ALPP candidate handbook.
~ Candidates must pass the exam and competencies administered by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice
. ~ Candidates must comply with the ALPP Code of Ethics.
~ Candidates who meet these requirements will be authorized to use the certification marks “Certified Lactation Counselor” and “CLC®.” CLC Certification
~ Certification as a Certified Lactation Counselor (CLC®) by the Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice is valid for three years.
How do I Recertify My CLC?
The CLC credential lasts for 3 years, and requires 18 hours of continuing education in order to recertify. For more information, please contact The Academy of Lactation Policy and Practice at www.talpp.org . There is a recertification handbook available for download on their website under forms and you can always give them a call at (508) 833-1500.
American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation. Healthy Children Project, Inc. is accredited as a provider of continuing nursing education by the American Nurses Credentialing Center’s Commission on Accreditation
~ Contact Hours will be awarded to participants who attend the program in its entirety. Partial credit will not be given to participants who attend only part of a workshop.
~ This 5-day course provides 45 Contact Hours for RNs.
~ Provider approved by the California Board of Registered Nursing, Provider #: CEP4931, for 45 contact hours.
~ Florida Provider #: FBN3373
~ Eligible for 4.5 CEUs for CNMs; American College of Nurse Midwives program number 2013/016
~ IBCLCs will receive 45.0 L-CERPs from IBLCE.
~ Approved for RDs by the Commission on Dietetic Registration for 45 CPEs, Level 2.
~ The content and objectives in this course cover the blueprint for lactation practice as laid out by IBLCE and awards 45 of the L CERPs needed to qualify for the International Exam. ~ The CLC and the IBCLC can also be used as a prerequisite for the Advanced Issues in Lactation Practice course to achieve the Advanced Nurse Lactation Consultant (ANLC) or the Advanced Lactation Consultant (ALC) designations.
~ Program can be applied towards Lamaze Recertification.
~ ANCC Nursing Skills Competency
~ The Lactation Counselor Training Program is an ANCC accredited Nursing Skills Competency Program for RNs
. ~ Competency Validation: The ANCC Nursing Skills Competency certificate is only awarded to Registered Nurses (RNs) who meet all of the clinical competencies throughout the week and pass the exam.
~ ANCC Nursing Skills Competency Expiration Date: 06/01/2016
Send an email to agapedoulatrainings@gmail to arrange Group Registration rates and pay by check. W-9 s available.
Text Book The Pocket Guide for Lactation Management, 2nd edition will be used during class and for homework. Participants may share books.
Group discount Order books 39.00 + 5.00 shipping. click here to order and pay.
Discount links coming soon
Bookings are closed for this event.